Monday, December 05, 2005

Newsletter, Edition V

THE AUTHOR’S ADVOCATE
The DPP Authors’ Newsletter
EDITION V
December 5, 2005



"It is perfectly okay to write garbage- as long as you edit brilliantly."

C.J. Cherryh


YOU ARE YOUR OWN BEST MARKETING REP!

I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything
I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.

Edward Everett Hale

Commitment

As writers we make a commitment to ourselves- to make time to write, a place to write, and to what we will write. Eric Maisel asks, “Is commitment more about duty or love? Is it something one demands of oneself or does it flow naturally, given the right circumstances?”…
Check the Blog for more on Commitment…

http://digitalpulppublishing.blogspot.com/


FEATURED AUTHOR-Of-THE-MONTH…

Inner View

DPP interviews and gets a better “inner view” into DPP author, Patrick Stafford.

(DPP) What is your ideal writing environment?

(Patrick Stafford) As a poet, for years now I guess I have followed in the footsteps of Dylan Thomas and Jack London who both liked to do some of their most inspirational writing at the local pub or tavern while imbibing the drink of choice. Mine is rum 'n coke and my home personal bar is the pub of choice! Thus, when I'm in the poetic mood and The Muse has seized me I enjoy sitting at my bar and listening either to Chris Isaak, The Moody Blues or The Gee Bees. Not the disco Bee Gees, mind you, but their later music from over the last 20 years which, like Isaak and Justin Hayward's band, I find very moody and conducive to writing verse. Besides, at my personal bar there are plenty of tasty appetizers, proper ambience and just the right kind of stiff rum 'n coke. And all are free!

Describe your writing routine…if you have one.

Most of all the prose I scribe is done on my computer as well as when I am ready to type and edit the poems I write in longhand at my personal bar. It is during the day when I enjoy writing journalism, film script and other genres of prose. And I assiduously spend at least five days a week--anywhere from three to seven hours a day--at my computer engaged in the creative writing process. But with no music nor other extemporaneous sound or noise to distract me at this time. Selective music only works for me when I'm penning original verse, not when I'm doing real writing!

What do you do when you aren’t feeling inspired or motivated to write?

Naturally, there are times when I am not inspired or motivated to be a writer or creative. I do not consider these times a case of writer's block, not that I don’t suffer from this plague upon all artists at one time or frequently. Poems, novels, articles, film scripts--you name it--all come from ideas. And no doubt artistic ideas often come from inspiration or emotional impetus. This impetus I believe can be self-generated. I accomplish this by reading and through discourse. And from what another writer has created, be it a novel or a poem, an idea is formed and takes seed in me. Often it is no more than an image or a short phrase or even one word. But throughout a day when I'm busy with domestic chores or just relaxing I let this idea fester--so to speak--in my mind, until it develops into a blueprint or outline for a complete poem or article or story that needs to be put to paper. And needs to be put there as soon as possible and while the fire is hot and the passion for writing is dire!

What authors inspire you most?

My two favorites poets are at opposite ends of the romantic spectrum, at least historically speaking. They are Robert Frost and Lord George Byron. But many others have also influenced me and continue to enwhelm me with their timeless verse. Particularly inspiring and emotionally charging are two whom I consider the two greatest female poets ever: Laurence Hope and Sara Teasdale. But I've learned my craft from a number of giants other than these enumerated- Poe, Tennyson, Longfellow, Whitman, Kipling, Keats, Shelley, Woodsworth, Service, Thomas Wolfe and Dylan Thomas, to name a few.

Your father, Elsan Stafford, is a novelist. In what ways has he and his writing influenced you and yours?

My father's teachings to me in all things, and not just in writing and poetry, have been invaluable to me. His being a writer and published author has no doubt been even more invaluable to me than any formal education or self-education I have acquired. Steady, disciplined writing precedes good writing. And this was my first lesson from him: write regularly and be self-disciplined in the craft and profession of a writing. Writing once a week or once a month doesn't cut it. Like being successful at any avocation, one must do it regularly and geared to always completing what you write. For writing is damn hard work most of the time, although a lot of fun some of the time. But it takes discipline and dedication and sticktoitness. A rocket scientist who only looks at his rocket once a month won't ever see his rocket make it off the ground. Unless he manages to live a few hundred years. But by that time, his new rocket might seem like horse and buggy!

Asian Darkness covers so many different aspects of the Vietnam War, and each one seems so personal. What piece in the collection would you say reflects your personal experience the most?

In the Brotherhood of Asian Studies and the first poem, Vietnam Thesis, are two of my favorites. And two of the very first poems I penned for Asian Darkness. They incorporate my general views on the War as well as personal feelings about how the War was handled by our government and the media. Moreover, in each poem I give a feeling how the common G.I. or military man experienced and felt the War. And the bitterness, anger, horror and emotional impact the conflict had on so many who served and fought and died in Vietnam.

Poetry is such a different expression than other works of writing. How do you edit or revise yours (if indeed you do)?

I write my poems in longhand. When I type them I do so at my office computer and tend to take my time at it. I often use a Thesaurus and occasionally a rhyming dictionary, which I do not mind admitting. The great lyricist/songwriter Cole Porter was found out later in his life to have often used a rhyming dictionary. And after this became known it much distressed him. But I feel no such distress or embarrassment. All real writers use many tools to hone their craft and create their labors of love. When I'm typing my poems I am undergoing the process of rewriting. And focusing on perfecting the rhyme, meter and structure of my poem until I am completely satisfied in the finished product, and that it is the best and most accurate labor of love it can possible become. For I believe the three greatest tools a writer has in his possession are: "Rewrite! Rewrite! Rewrite!"

In your essay on Passion (published in last week’s newsletter) you talk about how passion is the most important ingredient in writing. How do you couple that with technique?

Passion does more than allow me to exercise my own manner of writing and to develop the process of it. It motivates and galvanizes me to do a good job, and a job I will become completely satisfied with. Thus, I am spurred to pay heed to all the tools of the trade. Technique is one of them. And, like personal style, I try to pay close attention to, although personal style is not an aspect I really concern myself with. But technique, yes. For technique is the procedure of establishing structure. For me, structure is vital to a good or successful poem, and towards writing and developing it. Having a passive or dispassionate interest in the composition of anything invariably leads to its demise, I believe. And another scrap of paper being wadded up and tossed in the nearby trash receptacle. One who is passionate about his work and the quality of his work, I do believe will almost always do a good job. The greater the passion, the greater the quality of a laborer's work. And the more he will pay attention to the tools with which he writes. For a wordsmith, they are technique, theme, plot, character, dialogue, atmosphere, pace, exposition, narration and structure. Telling a good story and telling it well is, or should be, in my humble opinion, the goal of every passionate writer.

PUBLISHER’S PROMPT

Writing Prompt

The following prompt is from A Creative Writer’s Kit: Prompts & Practices, by Judy Reeves

Write about a series of mishaps

Use the prompt. Don’t use the prompt. If you decide to play with the prompt, and you’d like to share it, please send it to me (DigitalPulp Pub@aol.com) and I will post it in the following week’s Authors’ Advocate. You can find my response posted on the blog:http://digitalpulppublishing.blogspot.com/


WHAT’S GOING ON AT DPP…

Press Releases

New press releases are going out this week online, one for each of our authors, announcing the release date (January 1, 2006, available at the DPP Store: www.dppstore.com), ISBN number, and the publication date (March 31, 2006) of your book.

Also included in the release is a synopsis of your book, a quote about your book from you, one from Genene, and a short bio about you, the author.

The announcements are being posted on PRWeb, and will guide search engines such as Google, Overture, Yahoo, and eMediawire to each press release- giving it the broadest search reach of any press release distribution network on the Internet.

Imbedded in each press release are links to the DigitalPulp Publishing website as well as to the DPP Store.

Congratulations- you are being EXPOSED!

The Bookstore

Everyone here at DPP is working their little patooties off to ensure that the DPP Store is completely up, running, and beautiful for it’s January 1, 2006 opening. We have already had orders and inquiries, so please make sure you tell your friends, family, acquaintances, grocer, mechanic, high school biology teacher- everyone to check out the store (www.dppstore.com) on January 1 and buy your book!

On Holiday

FYI: DPP will officially be closed the week between Christmas/Hanukkah and New Years’ Day (Saturday, December 24-Sunday, January 1). The Authors’ Advocate will be on hiatus for that week.

Write on,

Nicky

No comments: