Thursday, March 16, 2006

Author! Author!

Innerview: Kathy Pratt

What is your ideal writing environment?

I am fortunate enough to have an extra bedroom in my home that I have converted to an office/library. It’s painted sunflower yellow and I have a red overstuffed chair for reading, red print curtains at the windows, and lots of bookshelves filled with my favorite books. My first published article is framed and hanging on the wall, along with other favorite things. I’ve hung bird feeders outside the window over my computer desk and I have a lovely view of plants and trees. It is all very serene and relaxing.

Describe your writing routine…if you have one.

I write on Wednesday, Saturday and sometimes Sunday during the day. These are my usual days off from the job that pays the bills. I usually start writing after 11:00 in the morning. My brain doesn’t wake up until then, so I do all my mundane chores and exercising in the early morning. I also try to write for an hour or so a couple of evenings during the week.

What do you do when you’re not feeling inspired or motivated to write?

I write anyway. I make myself sit down at the computer and start typing. I figure I can always changes and edit later, and if it’s lousy just delete it. Usually it gets me going and I end up being productive. I’ve also found that it helps to start the next few lines after I’ve finished a scene or a chapter. That way I don’t have to think about the direction I’m going in.

What authors inspire you most?

John Steinbeck is the first author that comes to mind. I’ve read everything he wrote, sometimes over and over. I also am inspired by Ernest Hemingway, Wallace Stegner, and Larrry McMurty. Rosamund Pilcher is one of my favorite female authors. I also enjoy reading Elizabeth Berg’s books—especially since she is also a Registered Nurse.

Is there a difference between how you approach writing the non-fiction works you’ve published vs. how you approach your fiction writing?

I write more from an outline when writing non-fiction. I plan the entire work out first, including research, so by the time I start writing things don’t change much. In my fiction, I write from a general story idea and synopsis, but sometimes my characters will take over and take me in a completely different direction. Many times I find them wanting to do things that I’d never imagined they would want to do. That’s probably the biggest difference. Fiction is much more character driven.

What made you decide to publish your book as an eBook?

I hadn’t even thought about publishing an eBook until I met Catherine Hodge at the Palm Springs Writer’s Conference last June. We met at the end of the conference, just as I was leaving. She stopped me and asked what I was working on and then told me about the new publishing venture. Several years ago, Ellora’s Cave came to speak at my Orange County Romance Writer’s meeting, and I checked out their web site when I got home from Palm Springs. I was amazed at how huge they’d grown to be in just a few years. I don’t write erotica, so I wouldn’t submit to them, but it made me think about the changing publishing industry. I decided I’d like to “get in on the ground floor”, so to speak. I think there’s going to be a huge market for eBooks in the future.

Got an inspiring quote you’d like to share?

“CARPE DIEM”

No comments: